I would give Ghostbusters
a sold 7 out of 10, it wasn’t as funny as I had hoped although there were
some good moments, but the storyline was good, I loved the four female
Ghostbusters because there was something very powerful and moving about the
uncomplicated female friendships portrayed, particularly Abby and Erin
reuniting, and the film wasn’t weighed down by boring bro jokes or the sort of
douchebag behaviour of the original film.
I tried to watch that recently because I couldn’t remember
if I ever had, and was put off by the tawdry attempts of Bill Murray’s
character to flirt inappropriately with a female student at the beginning and
then his date-rape of Sigourney Weaver’s character. Yes, that’s what it is. He
had sex with a woman possessed by a spirit who was coming onto him sexually and
behaving in a way the normal woman didn’t, without ever getting consent from
the woman herself. Yuck. None of those guys were at all likeable.
Kate McKinnon played a wonderfully zany Jillian Holtzmann,
Abby’s eccentric ghost-hunting aficionado, completely unconcerned with her own
weirdness, feisty, super-smart, and best of all, a gifted engineer and
physicist.
Melissa McCarthy was the irrepressibly chirpy Abby, whose
initially strained relationship with childhood friend Erin and their joyful
eventual reconciliation was totally believable, and again, she’s clearly a
sharp scientist who believes in what she’s doing and works hard.
Leslie Jones was Patty, who joins the group later but brings
sassy energy, a strong grounding force and a level head, and a lot of comedy
from her reactions to bizarre things.
Kristen Wiig was Erin, who I felt I understood completely in
her struggle to be appreciated by staid patriarchal academic figures, a career
woman who grafted hard to get where she is, but displayed she’s deeply loyal,
compassionate and self-sacrificing after she decides that she’ll do everything
on her own terms from now on.
Light, fluffy, lots of visual spectacle, references to the
original film, a fresh new take, Chris Hemsworth as the dopey receptionist
brought some laughs, overall a film very gentle on the soul without stretching
the brain.
No comments:
Post a Comment