Saturday, 6 August 2016

X-Men: Apocalypse

When I saw this film, I hadn’t seen Days of Future Past, although I had seen First Class and the original trilogy of X-Men films plus Deadpool in February, so I was looking forward to another X-Men outing but also unsure if this would be the misstep too far for the reboot. The ancient Egyptian opening only intensified this early feeling of scepticism. It reminded me too much of the grandly hammy openings of The Mummy and The Mummy Returns, and don’t get me wrong, I enjoy those films, but I enjoy them because they are pure cheese. I wasn’t committed to the film until after this bit had transitioned away and the background to Apocalypse’s revival had been set up.

Magneto continues to get absolutely no breaks in his attempt to get some normalcy back and distance himself from being a supervillain; in this film, having settled anonymously in Poland where he has a wife and a young daughter who herself has some mutant powers (control over animals), his new family are killed accidentally when he’s exposed to the local authorities as the fugitive Magneto. Charles has merrily gotten on with his school for baby mutants, with the latest recruits being the hapless Scott Summers, who discovered his powers when cornered by a bully in the toilets at his school, and Jean Grey (Sophie Turner who plays Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones) who scares everyone else with her nightmares which shake the whole school. Mystique is working alone, rescuing mutants like Nightcrawler who have been oppressed and enslaved.

I thought the new takes on familiar characters were interesting. Nightcrawler offered comic relief alternating between plucky and timid; Angel was reimagined as a cagefighter in a ring that sets imprisoned mutants against each other; Jean impressed with the final, dramatic display of her Phoenix powers, with much less drippy romance angst than Famke Jansen in the third original X-Men film; and Quicksilver made a pretty sharp appearance as Magneto’s chippy long-lost teenage son, completely casual about his super-speed powers to the point of pure comedy. I give it 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment